SEE MY UPDATED POST HERE :http://hackyourgadget.net/get-your-tomtom-gps-ready-for-your-summervacation-with-new-hacked-maps/
This guide will show you how to upgrade your TomTom to the latest version of Navcore and install the latest maps available.
If your device was made anytime from September 2010 onwards, (for eg. the GO 1000 series, GO LIVE 800 series, Start 20 series and all VIA models) it cannot be updated this way, as mentioned here:
Before proceeding with this tutorial, if your device has a card slot and you normally use the card, insert it now. As long as the card is inserted, it won’t affect the internal memory (if your device has internal memory).
Follow these steps precisely and you will have updated software, as good as new!
1) VERY IMPORTANT: Connect your device to your computer via USB. Using Windows Explorer, open your TomTom drive and backup the complete contents of your TomTom.
2) Open your TomTom drive and delete the contents.
3) Install the latest version of TomTom Home from the TomTom website.
4) Run TomTom Home. Depending on your model, if Home asks you whether to use internal memory or the card, select the card.
5) Go to updates and download the latest navcore. Restart TomTom Home and run updates several times until no more updates are available.
6) Unplug your TomTom device. Start your TomTom on its own. This will create a new ttgo.bif file which will be needed for patching later.
7) Check your navcore version. You can do this either on the device menu under Version Info, or you can check the navcore version in TomTom Home.
8) Reconnect your TomTom to your computer.
9) Run TomTom Home on your computer and go to the “Operate” function. This may be called “Operate My TomTom” or “Operate My Go” or similar, depending on your model. You may get an error message when doing so, just ignore it. The purpose of running the Operate function in Home at this stage is to create the dll profile needed for patching later.
10) Shut down TomTom Home.
11) Check which map is compatible with your navcore using the latest compatibility chart here for the v890 maps:
or for the v885 maps use this chart:
12) Download the compatible map using the Map Thread Finder, but first make sure the meta is available:
or for the v885 maps look in the TomTom archive section:
13) Extract the map, and copy across the new map folder into the root of the device. Make sure when you open the map folder it only contains the map files, not another folder within a folder.
14) Copy across the Voices folder from your backup into the root of the device. Or you can download free voices from TomTom Home.
15) Download the latest version of FastActivate Premium Edition:
16) Extract the file and copy across FastActivate.exe to the TomTom drive (the root of the device).
17) Run FastActivate.exe from the TomTom drive, clicking on all 4 options in order, waiting for each to complete: Update meta, activate maps/cams, patch navcore & Home.
18) Disconnect your TomTom from the computer and power it on.
Thats its and thats that.
Thankz to Lemonfish on Gpsunderground for this great guide.